Unlock the Power of a Good Night's Rest
Additional tips on getting better sleep:
- Get 10 to 30 minutes of sunlight in the morning (take a walk, have your breakfast outside)
- Cut off electronics 2 hours before sleep (TV, Phones, Computers). After the sun goes down, blue light is naturally reduced, which causes an increase in melatonin production, which is your sleep hormone. All our screens emit blue light, therefore preventing this production from occurring. Turning off your devices will help with this.
- Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses when working on a phone, computer or watching TV AND 2 hours before bed. This will help with the melatonin production as discussed above.
- Get into your bed at the same time every night (wind down with a paper book). We recommend thirty minutes before going to bed.
- Get 8 hours of sleep scheduled (go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday). Consistency is one of the best ways to fall asleep easily and sleep well through the night.
- Turn fans and vents away from you. The constant breeze from these could contribute to dryness of your eyes.
- Make your room pitch black with black out curtains. The darker your room is, the better you’ll sleep because any light can disrupt your sleep patterns.
- Plug your phone in another room to get rid of it as a distraction AND turn it on airplane mode.
- Remove the TV from your bedroom (bedrooms are for sleep and sex only). It just keeps you up longer and disrupts your sleep.
- Diffuse lavender essential oil into your bedroom starting at 7:00 pm and running all night. This will help reduce toxins in the bedroom and put you in a calmer state.
- Avoid caffeine after noon and avoid alcohol in the evening (no more than 1 drink).
- Move your body. Exercise and physical activity can help you fall asleep and stay asleep. Also avoid exercising before bed and try to do it in the morning if you can.
- Try fasting before bedtime. Make your dinner the last thing you eat for the day and don’t eat until breakfast. Fasting has other health benefits as well, but it may help you sleep and will help your body recuperate from the day.
- If you stay up at night worrying or feeling anxious, try gratitude journaling before bed.
- Yin Yoga or meditation right before bed could help you wind down and fall asleep much faster.
Challenge of the Week
Turn all electronic devices (phones, TV, tablets, computers) off 1 hour before bed. Plug your phone into another room, and put it to airplane mode while you sleep.
Commit to the same sleep schedule nightly, going to bed at the same time each night and waking up at the same time each morning, for a total of 7-8 hours (try to be in bed for 9 hours).
EXTRA CREDIT: Remove the TV from your bedroom. The bedroom is only for sleep and sex.
Supplement of the Week Review (affiliate link)
Week 1: Mighty Maca
Week 3: Passion 4 Life Multivitamin
THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
This video/content is not intended to provide personalized medical advice or to take the place of any guidance or treatment you may receive from your own physician or other health care professional. It is for general informational and educational purposes only.
All readers/viewers are advised to consult their own doctor or other qualified health professional regarding any personal health issues or specific health questions they may have. This video/content does not establish a doctor-patient relationship between the viewer/reader and either Dr. Travis or Jenna Zigler, and neither of the Drs. Zigler, nor the publisher of this video/content, take responsibility for any possible health consequences to any person who may follow the information provided in this educational video/content.
All viewers/readers of this video/content, especially those undergoing treatment from a medical professional for a known health condition, or who are taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their health care provider(s) before altering any current medication, nutrition, supplement, or lifestyle program, or initiating any new program.
The Eye Believe Foundation is an affiliate for some or all of the products on this page. When you click the link and purchase on Amazon, you help support our ministry in helping end preventable blindness.
It is the mission, duty and purpose of the Eye Believe Foundation to address, educate, coordinate, and provide aid and relief to those who have no access to proper eye care on a local and global level.
We believe that everyone deserves great vision. But over ONE BILLION people are functionally blind due to lack of glasses.
As optometrists, we see it as our duty to be available, when we are capable, to provide one of the most important yet basic human rights to ordinary people by giving them the vision they thought they had lost. This enables them to not only see the faces of their loved ones again, but also provide for themselves and their families through careers they may have lost to poor vision.